<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/24313810?origin\x3dhttp://origamidreams1.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, April 16, 2006

My day in Ginza

Tessa came up with a plan to go to the 300Yen bar in Ginza last night so I decided I wanted to go early and spend the day sightseeing/wandering around Ginza as I hadn't really done so on the previous trip to Ginza. Plus, I haven't really spent any time in Tokyo by myself so it seemed like a good time to do so.

For the benefit of those who may not know, Ginza is the ritziest district in Tokyo. It's where all the big famous department stores are, as well as all the designer boutiques like Hermes, Cartier, Dolce&Gabbana, etc. There's also an Apple store there, the only one in Japan I think.

I got to Ginza around 2-ish and went to Mitsukoshi, the oldest and most famous department store in Japan. It was cool cuz you could go right into the first basement level of the store from the subway. You're immediately surrounded by the most delicious smells you can imagine (both basement levels have every type of food you can imagine). The store is 10 floors including the basements, so it's pretty big, but the majority of the stuff I didn't have much interest in (women's clothes took up 2 whole floors) and only a passing interest in everything else because it's all super expensive. It was cool to look at though. Then I went down the street to the next big department store(henceforth depaato as they are known in japan) called Matsuzakaya. It was then I realized that all depaato's in Japan are basically carbon copies of each other, right down to the floor layout. So after that I pretty much had my fill of depaato's.

I then proceeded to wander around semi-aimlessly(I eventually wanted to find both of the 300Yen bars in Ginza) for quite a long time. I went in a crazy store called Don Quixote. I don't know what to compare it to, it's like a mexican wal-mart, but really small. The amount of stuff they fit in there is amazing. There's food, housewares, clothes, toys, electronics, and pretty much anything else in the space of a small house.

During my wanderings I got a pretty good sense of where everything is in Ginza which is great because now I can get around by myself(read: while drunk) and I know where all the cool places are.

Around 7 I went to meet Tessa and the others at Ginza Station, but as always everyone was late, we wound up waiting there for over an hour and everyone still hadn't got there. (I had a chu-hi tall boy to tide me over). So after we got sick of waiting Tessa, Marissa, Yuji, Yuuki, and I headed for the bar. I led us the wrong way(way to go jerk, you were there the whole day and still manage to screw it up), but it was immediately fixed by Tessa. The bar was really fun, moreso then last time, I think because it wasn't just a massive gaijin party. I managed to get Yuuki hooked on Jager, which I found hilarious. At some point a bunch more people showed up and more good times had. I left early for some reason, I think I got it in my head that I needed to leave before everyone else because the shuuden(last train) was earlier for me than the others.

So yeah, another great day in Japan land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home